Re: Last call comments on XML Base

At 15:11 2000 06 28 +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:53:02PM +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
>> 1) XML Base says:
>>
>>     >>>>
>>     A relative URI appearing in an attribute value is resolved
>>     against the base specified in the xml:base
>>     attribute appearing on the element owning the attribute,
>>     if one exists, otherwise the xml:base attribute of
>>     the nearest ancestor of the owning element having an
>>     xml:base attribute. Note that this applies to
>>     xml:base attributes themselves.
>>     <<<<
>>
>>     The last sentence seems confusing if not completely wrong.
>>     It says to resolve the xml:base attribute against itself.
>>     This will lead to an endless loop. Please change.
>
>   Is your problem the case that one could interpret nearest ancestor
> as the local element ? If not I don't understand.

I think the issue is that, for relative URIs *other than* that
in the value of an xml:base attribute, they would use the base
specified (via xml:base) on "the element owning the attribute,
if one exists", but for relative URIs in the value of xml:base
attributes themselves, they would only look at "the xml:base
attribute of the nearest ancestor of the owning element having
an xml:base attribute" (but obviously not the value of xml:base
on "the element owning the attribute").