Re: Robots PI (non-normative)?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:54:02AM -0700, Walter Underwood wrote:
> I'd appreciate knowing why this is not to be included. It is an
> important and proven feature for the web, important enough to be
> in HTML 4.0 (as a non-normative appendix).

  We did not record the reason for the decision except for the
point a/ and b/ below.

a/ First this was not listed in our requirements in an explicit way.

 - Also adding such a feature after Last Call, very different in its
mechanism and syntax from the rest of the XLink spec, was more likely
to give the WG troubles to reach Candidate Recommendation status.

 - I also think that adding non normatives features in RECs can easily
give troubles. Either it is included - fully - or not. Using PI for
XML document processing is not seen as a good thing either, this mean
that inclusion in XLink would probably have required switching to a
namespace, attribute based syntax first.

b/ Your initial mail also suggested that a NOTE would be another way
to answer your request. This was considered a simpler and actually
cleaner solution:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2000JanMar/0087.html
----------------------
If a non-normative appendix is not possible, I would hope
that someone on the committee could sponsor this as a
NOTE.

  If you want to get the address of another company to sponsor a
W3C Note submission, contact me directly,

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW