RE: Why is XBase needed?

First of all, let me apologize for not responding earlier.  My response has
in the XML Base disposition of comments draft, but I expected would be
completed and made public shortly after the last call period ended.  It
didn't work out that way.  Since you have repeated your comments in other
forums (indeed you raise some new points), it is clear that our lack of
prompt response is not contributing to discussion and resolution of this
issue.

1) The XML Base specificiation results from the attempt by the XLink group
to fulfill it's requirements as found in the XLink Requirements Document.
During development, it was determined that supporting something equivalent
to the HTML BASE element was best provided generically to all uris, instead
of only those URIs which happened to be in xlink:href attributes. As a
generic layer, it was felt that a separate namespace (xml) and a separate
Working Draft would provide greater modularity.

2) XML Base was developed as a generic XML equivalent of html:base
functionality. But in generic XML, we can't expect all hyperlinks to be
represented as XLinks, neither do we expect URIs to appear only in
hyperlinks. We favored consistently addressing the base problem at the URI
level instead of the providing different base processing at the link level.

3) Layering XLink on top of XHTML, which in turn we hope will be layered
upon XLink, is a bit circular.

4) Scoping of xml:base supports XInclude, which originated in the XLink
group and is now being completed by the XML Core WG. Other applications
which move subtrees of XML around or merge them can make use of xml:base to
keep relative URIs from breaking with minimal intrusion into the document.
The scoping behavior of xml:space and xml:lang was used as a model.

Please accept my apologies.  I look foward to your response.

- Jonathan Marsh