Comment on XPointer and XLink: Ranges

From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:03:18 +0800
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Comment from W3C member Academia Sinica
- Rick Jelliffe

I apologize if this has not made the last call deadline.

Ranges should be removed from XPointer and placed in XLink.

The reasons:
    1) ranges complicate XPointer implementation;
    2) ranges complicate explanations of XPointers;
    3) a pointer should point to a node or a point;
    4) a range is similar to an arc: the start and end have an affinity
to "from" and "to"

For similar reasons, I am not keen on multiple fragment specification:
it seems a shorthand for an extended XLink of some kind.