Re: reference mechanisms in "XML-Signature Requirements"

At 04:17 PM 7/13/99 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
 >	XML-Signature referents are identified with
 >        XML locators (URIs or fragments)
 >
 >But note that it (currently) doesn't;
 >it proposes a sort of extension to URIs using the |
 >to signal some new semantics. Did you mean to
 >include this new | feature?
 >
 >http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xlink-19980303#addressing

Actually, this feature is not specified in the 19990726 version [1] of the
specification that I can see. Perhaps the closest reference to the issue is
[2], but I'm not quite sure what they mean by container and content of
container. They may be arguing the same exact thing between resource and
content resource? (Editorial: The URI of [2] has spaces in the URI. [3])

[1] http://www.w3.org/1999/07/WD-xlink-19990726
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink#locator container or content
        Issue (locator container or content):
        How does a locator specify the container versus specifying
        the content of the container?
[3] http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2396.txt
2.4.3. Excluded US-ASCII Characters
   ... The space character is excluded because significant spaces may
   disappear and insignificant spaces may be introduced when URI are
   transcribed or typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-
   processing programs.
Joseph Reagle Jr.
XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://w3.org/People/Reagle/