Extended Link Groups Requirement

From: Philip Rutherford <philipr@webdialog.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:57:50 +1000
To: xlxp-dev@fsc.fujitsu.com, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
The only thing that doesn't seem to be in the new XLink requirements
document is the requirement corresponding to 'Extended Link Groups' from
the old working draft.

I think that especially where links are specified external to a document
there should be a way for the document to specify where these links are
located. For example a document might specify three other documents that
contain links to it.

A more complex solution might specify a set of documents (say all
documents at site www.foo.com ) which should be searched for links to
this document. This complexity may be unnecessary as a search engine
could be set to do this task and then make all the links available in a
single document which is pointed to by the original document.

I think that this is an important requirement not just from an
implementation point of view but from the perspective of filtering and
grouping links to a document. For example my document might point to two
link documents 'beginner' and 'expert'. The 'beginner' document might
contain links of a general informative nature to help a beginner
understand the original document. The 'expert' document might contain
links of a specific technical nature of interest to an expert in the
field. A browser could use this grouping to filter out one or other of
the link types according to the user's preference.

No doubt there are holes and un-thought-of implications in what I am
saying but it's worth thinking about. I have recently implemented a web
page annotation system using XLink concepts and I do actually use this
kind of filtering.

Regards

-- Philip

Philip Rutherford             E-mail: philipr@webdialog.com.au
webdialog pty. ltd.                http://www.webdialog.com.au
"working together on the web"
PO Box 131, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.