RE: XML Infoset Comment Resolution: issue-query-*

Yes. But this can be calculated based on the ancestor tree and not all
inscope namespaces need to be carried around. I think we argue in
circles here.

> The Infoset provides the in-scope namespaces for the
> benefit of standards that want to specify this interpretation of
> QNames; a standard that wanted to interpret QNames some other way
> would of course be free to so, but that would be contrary to
> eisting practice.

Again, both solutions and interpretation will provide that.

> > As such, this does not belong into the Infoset.
>
> We decided it belonged to the Infoset because it supports something
> multiple standards require.

The information will be there, it just does not need to be moved around
in the current way, since the move will appear after those standards
apply.

> > This is not clear based on the Infoset description and would be a
> > requirement against both XSLT and XQuery.
>
> This is what XSLT already does, when it says for the XML
> output method:
>
>  NOTE: An XSLT processor may need to add namespace declarations in the
>  course of outputting the result tree as XML.

But this is different. This means that if a QName requires a namespace
declaration that has not been added yet, XSLT may add it. From this, I
do not see any requirement for providing all inscope namespaces at every
level or to carry them around in case of copies/moves.

> > Let the applications deal with preserving the information for
> > embedded QNames by using XML Schema.
> > Again, If you have data that has semantics beyond XML1.0 plus
> > namespaces, it belongs into a Post-X infoset. XML Schema gives you a
> > QName datatype, which exactly gives you the semantics that you wish
> > without bloating the Infoset.
>
> But this was the intended interpretation all along, and as far as I
> know all existing specifications that use QNames interpret them this
> way.  We are just following existing practice.

I am not convinced.

Best regards
Michael