Re: Determining attribute uniqueness seems to require namespace prefix in Infoset

From:  "John Boyer" <jboyer@PureEdge.com>
To:  <xml-names-editor@w3.org>
Cc:  <www-xml-infoset-comments@w3.org>, "XML DSig" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Date:  Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:15:32 -0700

>Dear Editors,
>
>Please see the first example of Section 5.2 and the sentence immediately
>above it, which says "Note that default namespaces do not apply directly to
>attributes" [1].  One chairman of the XML DSig group recently commented that
>the word 'directly' may be intended to indicate that unqualified attributes
>inherit their namespace setting from the parent element.  This seems
>sensible to me as the href attribute should be in the same namespace as the
>parent element <a>.

No, I did not say that attributes "inherit their namespace setting
from the parent element".  I said that they are qualified by their
element.  That is, in

<b:a xmlns:b="foo:bar" c="xyz">

it is "as if" c were actually b:a:c except, of course, that this
syntax is illegal.

>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#defaulting
>
>However, now look at the last example of Section 5.3.  The second occurence
>of <good> has attributes a and n1:a.  This is declared as legal, but if 'a'
>inherits its namespace setting from good, then a and n1:a appear to be
>equal.

But n1:a and n1:good:a would be different.

>Could you please advise us on the correct interpretation (and fix the error
>if indeed there is one)?
>

>     John Boyer
>      Development Team Leader,
>      Distributed Processing and XML
>      PureEdge Solutions Inc.
>      Creating Binding E-Commerce
>      v: 250-479-8334, ext. 143  f: 250-479-3772
>      1-888-517-2675   http://www.PureEdge.com

Donald