Re: Determining attribute uniqueness seems to require namespace prefix in Infoset

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:24:10 -0500
To: John Boyer <jboyer@PureEdge.com>
CC: xml-names-editor@w3.org, www-xml-infoset-comments@w3.org, XML DSig <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
> John Boyer wrote:
[...]

> The latter interpretation is consistent with how everyone actually
> thinks of attributes.

Actually, it's not. Stare at the HTML style attribute
vs. the style element for a while, and I think you'll
see why. If not, let me know and I'll try to find
time to elaborate.

It is simply a myth that unprefixed attribute names
are bound to any namespace name. They are not.

cf

Myth #4: Unprefixed attribute names are in XML
                  namespaces
in

    Mar. 8, 2000: Namespace Myths Exploded by Ronald Bourret
http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/03/08/namespaces/index.html