XML Fragment Interchange vs. XPath/XPointer???

From: Jess Holle <jessholle@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:19:47 -0400
To: www-xml-fragment-comments@w3.org
I am probably missing something, but....

What is the difference in scope/intent between "XML Fragment
Interchange" and "XPointer" specifications?  The XML Fragment
Interchange examples, seem quite lengthy as compared to the XPath
expressions necessary to specify the same document subsets.  I am not as
familiar with the XPointer specification, but since it -adds- upon the
capabilities of XPath it should be equally or more capable of this
task.  Given XPath/XPointer, why would one use all the lengthy verbage
in the examples XML Fragment Interchange examples?

For example, the example:

<f:fcs xmlns:f="http://www.w3.org/XML/Fragment/1.0"

            <orderedlist numeration="arabic">

would seem to be simplifiable to something like (note the select

<f:fcs xmlns:f="http://www.w3.org/XML/Fragment/1.0"

or position=3]' />

Surely I'm missing the point, right?