Re: Newline problems!!!

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
To: jeswin@pulzestream.com (Jeswin P)
Cc: www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org

(Speaking for myself, not the W3C Core WG)

Jeswin P scripsit:

> A change of the newline character will have terrible repercussions for all
> the existing XML apps that we distributed. This mail is to voice our
> opposition to this proposal, and to protest against modifying XML so that
> it conforms to the ambitions on one company (IBM).

We are adding an additional newline character which is mapped into the
existing #xA (LF) character on input.  This should have zero repercussions
on existing XML 1.0, and even in XML 1.1 you need not use it unless you
choose.

--
John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
http://www.reutershealth.com            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan