Re: XML 1.1 Last Call Comments from the XSL WG

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:46:57 -0400 (EDT)
To: mark.scardina@oracle.com (Mark Scardina)
Cc: jcowan@reutershealth.com ('John Cowan'), Michael.Kay@softwareag.com ('Kay Michael'), pgrosso@arbortext.com ('Paul Grosso'), w3c-xsl-wg@w3.org, w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org, www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org

Mark Scardina scripsit:

> Suppose my input document is a non-normalized 1.0 one, in your view does
> an XSLT 1.1 compliant processor still normalize it,  is it permitted to
> output a non-normalized result, or is it forced to throw an error?

XML 1.0 input of course need not and should not be normalized.

It's all about the output method.   If the output is HTML or XML 1.0
or text, then no normalization is required (although it would be a
Good Thing to provide it at user option).  If the output is XML 1.1,
then normalization is required.

--
A mosquito cried out in his pain,               John Cowan
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan