Re: XML 1.1 Last Call Comments from the XSL WG

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:02:28 -0400 (EDT)
To: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com (Kay, Michael)
Cc: pgrosso@arbortext.com (Paul Grosso), mark.scardina@oracle.com (Mark Scardina), w3c-xsl-wg@w3.org, w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org, www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org

Kay, Michael scripsit:

> Are you saying that normalization should be done when producing a final
> result tree from the intermediate result trees, or are you saying it should
> be done when serializing the final result tree?

Either, but I meant the latter.

The normalization constraints apply only to actual XML documents used in
interchange.   What a program does internally to itself is not constrained.
It is up to the XSL WG whether to require normalization internally
(but I personally recommend against it); what matters is that when
you generate an XML 1.1 document, you ensure that it is normalized.

--
He made the Legislature meet at one-horse       John Cowan
tank-towns out in the alfalfa belt, so that     jcowan@reutershealth.com