Re: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 requires entity resolution, XInclude processing, and more

At 1:43 PM -0400 4/29/02, John Cowan wrote:
>Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:
>
>>  There's a probably unintentional interaction between the XML 1.1
>>  draft and the Character Model that requires a non-validating parser
>>  to resolve all external entity references, process XIncludes, and
>>  more.
>
>Section 2.13 says:
>
># Non-validating processors must ignore the possible denormalizations
># that would be caused by inclusion of external entities that they do
># not read.

OK. I managed to miss that on three separate reads through the spec.
:-( It does address this part of my concern. This is still bad, but
at least it's the same weird case we already have where a validating
and a non-validating parser may come to different conclusions about a
document's malformedness. IMO, it's a design flaw, but at least it's
not a new design flaw.

>As for XIncludes, an XInclude processor may have to do extra
>normalization compared to a pure XML processor, but pure XML
>processors know nothing of XIncludes.
>
>I'll make sure the next draft spells out that only references to
>external entities count as "includes" for XML 1.1.

That would help.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |