Re: XML Blueberry

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:50:20 -0400
To: "Rob Lugt" <roblugt@elcel.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Cc: <www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org>

>I think the good people at IANA [1] would treat this request with the scorn
>which you have poured onto Blueberry.

I don't think so. The IANA only registers names of character sets
actually used. They do not attempt to judge whether those character
sets make sense. But even if they did it doesn't matter

Even if the IANA were to refuse to register this encoding for some
reason, XML can still use it. XML 1.0 suggests but does not require
that character set names  in the encoding declaration be registered
with the IANA. If the IANA doesn't want to register IBD-8, we can
just call it x-IBD-8 and use it anyway.

I certainly don't intended to use such a non-standard encoding, but
that's sort of the point. This proposal let's IBM have their cake,
without forcing everyone else to eat it.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |