[Fwd: XML Blueberry Requirements]

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:17:13 -0400
To: www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com
to do / all things             || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
with art- / lessness           \\ -- Piet Hein

attached mail follows:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 Misha.Wolf@reuters.com wrote:

>    XML Blueberry Requirements
>    W3C Working Draft 20 June 2001
[snip]
> | As a result, fully native-language XML markup is not possible in at
> | least the following languages: Amharic, Burmese, Canadian aboriginal
> | languages, Cantonese (Bopomofo script), Cherokee, Dhivehi, Khmer,
> | Mongolian (traditional script), Oromo, Syriac, Tigre, Yi. In addition,
> | Chinese, Japanese, Korean (Hangul script), and Vietnamese can make use
> | of only a limited subset of their complete character repertoires.

Hi Misha, John,

I believe the comment about the Bopomofo script is a reference to the
"Bopomofo Extended" block (U+31A0 to U+31B7) added in Unicode 3.0, which
is intended for the Minnan (Southern Min) and Hakka Chinese languages
(as spoken in Taiwan), not Cantonese.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu