Re: XKMS and X509v3 attributes, where to put them in?

Manuel Gil Perez wrote:

> Dear Michael, XKMS folks,
>
> X509v3 certificates cannot contain any privilege (in your case, a role
> name) belongs to an end identity. A X509v3 certificate only links
> statically a public key with a specific identity, not privileges. For
> fix this "problem", IETF-PKIX WG defined a new structure called "X.509
> Attribute Certificate" (RFC 3281) to associate privileges to a specific
> identity. The section 4.4.5 of that RFC defines how define/include a
> role name.

Attribute certificates existed well before the PKIX profile and are
part of X.509.

There is also no reason at all why a public key certificate cannot
contain privilege data like roles - sometimes that's better and
sometimes its better to use an AC.

> IMHO, my advise is that we/you should try to extend the current XKMS
> services to support this new kind of certificates, and so provide a new
> PKIX service (privileges) to the users.

Disagree.

The xkms client must not have to know whether there's any X.509 PKCs or
ACs anywhere, or else why are you using XKMS? So while it does make
sense to think about including/linking simple privilege data to XKMS it
does not, IMO, make sense to try "support" X.509 ACs in XKMS. If you
want that kind of privilege handling use SAML.

Regards,
Stephen.