Construction of Nonce

From: Frederic Deleon <frederic.deleon@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:57:04 +0100
To: www-xkms@w3.org

Hello,

I would have a question about Nonce construction.
What is the meaning of "+" in computation formula (nonce = time + serial
+ M ( time + serial , k ))?
It looks like concatenation. But when looking at examples
("Rj2BoUZM7PisPX2ytSAAWA==" in response 1), beginning of Nonce does not
seem to look like "clear" time value. Moreover, I think concatenation of
"clear" values and encrypted values would not be efficient to avoid
leakink information [74].
So perhaps formula is nonce = MAC of time&serial concatenation with k
key (nonce = M ( time + serial , k ) rather, in my mind). But in this
case, how time or serial values could be retrieved from MAC encrypted
value ?

I understand that this formula is not mandatory for service
implementation, but I would like to use it to be nearer from specification.

Sincerely,

Frédéric Deléon