Re: XKMS 2.0

Berin,

I am Shivaram Mysore, Co-Chair of the XKMS working group.  At this time,
we are working on an interop test suite and a matrix.  This working
group is a public working group.  So the contribution of all the folks
interested is most welcome.

Please let us know in what way we can help.

Thanks

/Shivaram

Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Don't know if you have been keeping accross it, but XKMS 2.0 is now in
> candidate recommendation status.  The plan is to run interop tests
> between now and (from memory) October.
>
> I thought it might be interesting to try to get an XKMS service and/or
> client up and running to have involved in the interop.
>
> So...
>
> I've been playing with XKMS this weekend.  I'll be checking some new
> (C++) code into CVS sometime soon providing a skeleton message factory
> for reading XKMS messages.  I'll flesh this out over the next few weeks
> to give a reasonably full XKISS implementation of message handling.
>
> I'm also going to put some client code into the library, but my feeling
> is that a server should be a separate code base.  The MessageFactory
> class will provide the basic message handling, but the server will have
> to handle the actual server logic.  Client code is a bit easier - make
> the request and return the result - and really should be in the
> xml-security library.
>
> For the server, my feeling was it needs a couple of components :
>
> 1. SOAP listener.  This could be a simple process that accepts
> connections, an apache mod, an AXIS module (once AXIS C++ supports the
> Message service) or any other module that can get the message and strip
> the SOAP envelope to pass it to the
>
> 2. XKMS server.  The process that handles incoming XKMS messages and
> returns the answer to the SOAP listener.  It will need to talk to
>
> 3. The key service.  This is the service that actually knows about keys.
>   In the simplest form (for interop) it'll just be a connection to a
> database that holds the keys the service knows about.  For more
> complicated situations, this might be an interface to a commercial PKI.
>
> Between 1 and 2 and between 2 and 3 will be defined interfaces that
> allow other key services and/or SOAP listeners to be configured around
> the XKMS server.
>
> Would be interesting to do something similar in Java.  And I'd like to
> work on getting both through the Interop prior to the end of October.
>
> Anyway, very interested in thoughts.  In the first instance I just want
> to create a simple prototype :>.
>
> Cheers,
>     Berin

Shivaram H. Mysore <shivaram.mysore@sun.com>

JavaSoft, Sun Microsystems Inc.     Co-Chair, W3C's XKMS WG
                                     http://www.w3.org/2001/XKMS

Direct: (408)276-7524
Fax:    (408)276-7674