From: Hallam-Baker, Phillip [mailto:pbaker@verisign.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 8:43 AM
To: 'Frederick J. Hirsch'; Hallam-Baker, Phillip;
'stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie'; www-xkms@w3.org
Subject: RE: versioning...

Then we end up with a private syntax within XML/URI schemes which is
very bad.

It is generally accepted in the protocol community that there is a need
to support version numbers, in fact it is one of the cannonical faults
that first run protocols make, look at the kludge that Tim got into with
HTTP!

It is also generally accepted that a protocol needs to alert a responder
to three possible cases, the same protocol being used, a compatible
enhanced protocol being used, an incompatible protocol being used.

	Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.