SOAP Confidentiality and Integrity: What do we have now?

Hello All,

Where exactly do we stand in terms of existing proposals (W3C Notes,
additional specs, etc) that offer confidentiality and integrity for SOAP
messages? We have [1], which has been used in practice by some of RSA's
customers. Is this is only existing piece of work on the subject?

I am referring to proposed specifications on how one might go about
encrypting and/or signing portions of a SOAP document using XML Signature
and XML Encryption.

After re-reading [1] below, I think it is a good place to start since it
does propose a namespace for secure extensions to SOAP. My guess from a
practical implementation point of view is that if an equivalent 'SOAP-enc'
proposal/Note was generated, even as a note, this would provide a starting
point and take some of the heat off of the urgency to roll the contents of
[1] into 'secure web services' working group or even a smaller SOAP security
WG.

I see the problem of "how do I use XML Signature an Encryption with a SOAP
message" as separate and distinct from "How do I secure my web service". One
problem is of course a subset of the other, but why wait for the smaller
problem to be solved within a larger, process-laden working group when the
smaller problem can be solved quickly (shortest job first) and then the
results of these two notes can be brought in to the larger "Secure Web
services WG" and rolled in to the larger solution.

This is just an observation that I had, there may be constraints that I'm
not seeing, if so, please let me know

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-dsig/

Regards,

Blake Dournaee
Toolkit Applications Engineer
RSA Security

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing" - Socrates