RE: 2.0 Draft 8

Hi,

	There have been private discussions but none so far on the list. I
think we should schedule some con call time to have this discussion.

	The objective that everyone appears to share is to enable XKMS to be
specified independently of any lower level protocol that it might use. So
that we don't need to keep comming out with new versions of XKMS when all
that has changed is the traqnsport protocol.

	There are a lot of moving parts here, SOAP is currently in mid
definition, the proposal for a security layer is currently waiting to be
formally proposed in a standards body. Neither specification is going to
change the internals of XKMS and even with WS-Security fully specified there
is a utility in the enveloped signatures on the XKMS messages.

	What I propose that we do is to move most of section 2, except for
the schema discussion out of the XKMS document and make it a standalone
'message binding' document. This would have the following outline.

1. Security Requirements
2. Abstract protocol definition
3. SOAP over HTTP binding [normative, required]
4. Direct HTTP binding [normative, not required]
5. SOAP over HTTP with SOAP security layer (e.g. ws-security)
	binding [not normative, not required]
6. SOAP over SSL binding

	Sections 3-6 will consist largely of a table stating what mechanism
is used to achieve which security requirement. In some cases certain
security bindings will not meet a particular requirement e.g. if you want to
support SOAP routing or non-repudiation then you can't use SSL.

	If this is OK with the group I can go ahead with a draft.

		Phill