RE: requirements - 4-corner wording

From: Daniel Ash <Daniel.Ash@identrus.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:48:19 -0500
To: "'Rich Salz'" <rsalz@zolera.com>, hirsch@zolera.com
Cc: www-xkms@w3.org
The only distinguishing factor of the 4-corner is the "peerwise trust
relationship", which is certainly out-of-scope for XKMS... which leaves us
with an environment that supports referrals (even less Identrus-y).  Without
referrals it will be more difficult to separate complicated trust models
(cross-certification, bridges.. etc) from the trust relationship between
client and service.  This separation, I think, is tantamount in shielding
end entities from more complexity than necessary.

Other trust infrastructures could benefit, as much as Identrus could, from a
referral mechanism (I'm not quite sure what the difference is between
referrals and server chaining).  Does anyone else agree that a referrals (or
server chaining) requirement should replace the 4-corner requirement?

-dan