FW: Suggested changes to XKMS 2.0 Spec

I received these comments from Loren Hart who maintains the VeriSign
code. If there are no objections I will roll them in as they appear to
be editorial comments.

From: Hart, Loren L.
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 1:24 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Subject: Suggested changes to XKMS 2.0 Spec

The following suggested changes to the XKMS 2.0 (Part 1) are made based
on
my reading of the Editors Copy dated 2002-10-17.

2.4	Support Requirements

    Does it make sense for to require that client implementations
    MUST support synchronous compound XKMS requests when services
    only MAY support them?
    I would suggest that clients at most SHOULD support these requests.

2.8.3	<OpaqueClientData/>

    First the schema presented is not legal, and does not make sense.
    Second neither of them should be minOccurs="0" since if there is an
    <OpaqueClientData/> there should be at least one <OpaqueData/>
element.

2.8.7	<PendingNotification/>

    The Table column heading is currently "URI" and should be
"Mechanism"

    Also a clarification about urn:ietf:rfc:2616 should this be the
complete and
    exact URL that the XKSM server should perform a get on?
    Should there be a retry if there is an HTTP error code?
    Should redirects be followed?

5.1.1 <RegisterRequest/>	(both examples)

    The following Element:
       <UseKeyWith Application="urn:ietf:rfc:2459"
       Identifier="C=&quot;US&quot; O=&quot;Alice Corp&quot;
CN=&quot;Alice Aardvark&quot;" />

    Should look like the following:
       <UseKeyWith Application="urn:ietf:rfc:2459"
		   Identifier="C=US, O=Alice Corp, CN=Alice Aardvark"/>

5.2 <ReissueRequest/>

    This section needs some clarification.
    Why reissue a credential?
    Is this request like renew to get a new validity interval?
    Is Reissue for something else?

4.1.13 <RevocationCode>
4.1.14 <RevocationCodeIdentifier>
7.1 MAC

    There are two problems here:

    1) Nowhere does this specification say which MAC to use, nor is
       there anywhere in the schema to indicate which MAC is being used.
       Our XKMS 1.0 implementation currently uses HMAC/SHA-1.

    2) Nowhere does this specification indicate the size of the MAC key
       values listed in section 7.1.
       Our XKMS 1.0 implementation currently uses one byte Keys.