RE: Correlation/Protection (Was: Re: XKMS)

Regarding Stephen's question as to what needs to be digested (and returned
in the response), it might not need to be the "entire request". For example,
for a <Validate> request, it may be sufficient to return a hash on the
<Query>. Based on Phil's write-up, this hash could be included with the
request as well (but verified by the server) but I don't think it needs to
be. In any case, we need to decide whether the requestor needs to be able to
dynamically indicate what should be hashed, or just statically define in the
spec (I prefer the latter as I believe Phill indicated as well).

Moving the digests to the SOAP header sounds fine so long as SOAP security
is used. Aren't we still going to define the option of including, for
example, an XML DSig element as part of the XKMS response. To me, this
indicates that any such hash would have to be included in the XKMS response.

Another point based on Phill's write-up. I may have misinterpreted the
description, but in case I didn't, I don't think that authenticated requests
(on their own) do anything to prevent the alteration of the request.
Consider Alice that sends a signed request to Bob.  Carol intercepts and
signs a different request for Bob. Unless the authenticated response from
Bob includes some reference to the request (e.g. a hash of it's relevant
information, or an indication of the sender's name) then Carol can
successfully substitue portions of Alice's request.

Mike