RE: optional stuff (was Re: URL-level trust (was: Re: XKMS))

As the author of RFC 2535, I strenuously object... :-)

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallam-Baker, Phillip [mailto:pbaker@verisign.com]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 12:06 PM
To: stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie; www-xkms-ws@w3c.org
Subject: RE: optional stuff (was Re: URL-level trust (was: Re: XKMS))

So we exclude any negotiation mechanism from the start. We do not
start off with an ISAKMP style message saying 'here is what I might
like to propose that we might do, do you have concerns in the matter
that you might like to discuss, perhaps over dinner and a bottle or
two of claret?'. If you implement the ISAKMP protocol in its entirety
you can have up to 6 round trips just to select the producer and
vintage[1].

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.
pbaker@verisign.com
781 245 6996 x227

[1]	See RFC 2535 Appendix H subsection 23b. See also [2]
[2]	'On the use of spurious citations in sarcastic comments and
	the gullability of those who look them up', H. Beloc,
	To be published.