RE: Proposed Final Charter and Activity Proposal

From: Frederick Hirsch <hirsch@zolera.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:27:30 -0400
To: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>, <www-xkms-ws@w3.org>
The proposal and charter are excellent, but to me seem to emphasize PKI too
heavily.
Couldn't the XKMS technology be used for public key  management without
creating a PKI infrastructure behind the XKMS server?

To this end I would propose rephrasing a few items in the proposal and
charter, namely

Proposal
Section 2: The objective is to shield applications from the key management
process, which could be PKI based or some other process.

I would suggest changing the heading Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) to
Public Key Technology.

Likewise I would change "XKMS is a PKI trust service" to "XKMS is a key
management and key trust service ..." and not presume an underlying PKI.

Charter
As Blair mentioned the heading in the document should have "Charter" at the
end.

I would modify the mission statement:
"The mission of this working group is to develop an XML application protocol
that allows a simple client to obtain key management and trust services from
a web service."

In the communications mechanisms section, the web page is
http://www.w3.org/2001/XKMS as Joseph mentioned

---
Frederick Hirsch
Zolera Systems, Your Key to Online Integrity
Securing Web services: XML, SOAP, Dig-sig, Encryption
http://www.zolera.com/