RE: XMLP/XMLE Use cases and processing models

From: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:31:03 -0500
To: "David Orchard" <david.orchard@bea.com>, <reagle@w3.org>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "'www-xenc-xmlp-tf'" <www-xenc-xmlp-tf@w3.org>, "'xml-dist-app'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, "'xml-encryption'" <xml-encryption@w3.org>
> Imagine I took a SOAP document and encrypted a big chunk of it,ie
> <soap:envelope><xenc:encrypteddata>...</xenc:encrypteddata></soap:
> envelope>.
[...]
> Making such a document have a media-type of application/xenc+xml ensures
> that the document can be dispatched to the correct piece of
> software, which you can't do if it has media-type application/soap.

This may have been covered elsewhere and I missed it, but is there
a concrete definition of "big chunk" that would trigger the media-type
change? (Presumably, if some part of the SOAP payload is encrypted
(a credit card field in a shipping invoice, say), you wouldn't
advocate that the media-type be changed). Is it based on encrypting
all the SOAP headers, contents of SOAP headers, envelope, etc.?

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.