Re: Web Services Architecture Working Group response to your comment [ISSUE #10]

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:18:41 -0500
To: Daniel_Austin@grainger.com
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org, www-wsa-comments@w3.org

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 17:49, Daniel_Austin@grainger.com wrote:
>       Concerning your comment that the words " encourage", "promote",
> "provide", and "support" are used rather loosely in the document, and are
> often treated as synonyms even though they are not in fact synonymous:
> the editors of the Requirements document concur with this comment, and
> can only plead the exigencies of the authoring process, during which the
> document may pass through many individual hands.

I'll note that this is completely undestand on a new requirements draft, but
trying to define and use these terms consistently is one of the most
rewarding aspects of the requirements document -- one finally feels one
understands and is being clear.

> Your proposed language, to wit using the phrase " will not preclude" in
> place of the other phrases above is a good one, and will probably be used
> except in cases where this does not express the sentiment of the group on
> the issue.

I was not advocating that "will not preclude" replace all others, only that
it yet another option, on a (hopefully small) menu of options that I've
found useful.