RE: Semantics for Web Services Characterization

David,

I agree that the goal should be to derive the functionalities from the
use-cases, so I think your simplified suggestion, mentioning NO
technologies, is _my_ favoured solution.

If people feel we don't live in a purely use-case driven world (gasp),
then the _next_ best option is to cite any W3C submission (in the
semantic web-service space) that will support the process by studying
the use-cases they anticipate. Approximately, WSDL-S : invocation &
discovery; OWL-S : composition (service as process) & discovery; WSMO :
discovery (service as value) & mediation; SWSF : validation.

Either way the technology itself isn't important. The worst of all
options, of course, is to attempt to characterize all potential
use-cases in terms of a single technology.

Steve.