Re: SSL not secure for WS??

Hello, Daniela -

SSL is sufficient for point-to-point web service connections; it
provides authentication, integrity protection, confidentiality, and
resistance to replay attacks.  The typical "server certificate only"
configuration of SSL may be insufficient --in a high-value web service
interaction you would frequently want to use a client certificate (a
so-called "bilateral certificate exchange") to authenticate the client
to the server.

When a web service intermediary (such as the Service Gateway made by my
company, Reactivity), enters the picture, SSL is no longer sufficient.
An intermediary such as our Gateway performs tasks like validation,
verification of digital signatures, encryption or decryption,
transformation, logging, and routing.  For all of these tasks, we
require access to the unencrypted bytes of the message content, which
means that we need to act as an SSL endpoint.  We can't just forward the
SSL bytes onward because we do not have access to the private key of the
client, so we either have to start a new SSL session with our own
private key, or use non-SSL-based technologies for our cryptographic
requirements.

The WS-Security protocol provides mechanisms for authentication (SAML,
WS Username), integrity protection (XML Signature), confidentiality (XML
Encryption), and replay (through a variety of techniques).  These
mechanisms all work by modifying the SOAP envelope (typically by adding
more Headers, though Encryption also modifies Body elements).

WS-Security-based techniques have the additional advantage of
persistence.  An SSL session is ephemeral -- the guarantees of
confidentiality and integrity apply only to bytes moving through the
encrypted tunnel.  An encrypted or signed SOAP envelope can be sent to a
message bus, stored on disk or inserted to a database, and will remain
secure as long as the private keys used in its construction are kept
secret.  In our product, for example, we write selected messages into a
signed message log, which means that we have a tamper-evident store of
secure content, which can help our customers satisfy regulatory and
auditing requirements.

I hope that helps!  If you need more information, we have several white
papers available here:
http://www.reactivity.com/guidebook/white_papers_and_resources.html

best-

Michael Hanson