Re: RPC and Document

From: Aleksander Slominski <aslom@cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:04:01 -0500
To: Rafael Llarena <rafallg@ono.com>
CC: www-ws@w3.org
Rafael Llarena wrote:

> Hi,

hi,

> I would like to know if there's a way to create a web method that is
> not format or encoding dependent. I mean, is it possible to create a
> single web method that handles both Document and RPC

yes (i assume you talk about WSDL 1.1 SOAP document and rpc bindings)

> and both Literal and Encoding?

assuming you want XML Schema validation for documents and as well to
support SOAP encoding: i do not think that it is possible as there are
different encoding rules in SOAP encoding than what can be described in XS

however if you do not care about XML schemas then all out there are just
XML message and you can do anything with them.

all those ways to describe messages are contracts and if you make
contracts flexible enough you can describe anything but then your
contracts may be too weak for interoperability - how user can now what
messages are accepted?

nice article about it that defines Web Service Contract as kind of
Equivalence Relation Over Set Of XML Messages: Brain.Save() -
Isomorphism
<http://hyperthink.net/blog/PermaLink,guid,46c804f0-1384-4752-9519-182d407f9253.aspx>

> If there isn't, how comes I can't write a web service that is platform
> independent? or I can?

that will depend on your definition of platform independent  ;-)

my .02c,

alek