Re: Stateful Web Services...

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 02:11:46PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> It's the old
> engineering answer, "it depends".

Of course it is, David.  You say that (repeatedly!) like I'm unaware of
it.  That is simply not the case.

Since we're quoting REST, let me point this out;

"[statelessness] induces the properties of visibility, reliability, and
scalability. [...] Scalability is improved because not having to store
state between requests allows the server component to quickly free
resources, and further simplifies implementation because the server
doesn't have to manage resource usage across requests."
  -- http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_1_3

which directly refutes your claim here;

"Stateful vs stateless is really a question of trade-offs of desired
properties that the service provider makes, and scale is not one of
them."
  -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws/2004Oct/0038.html

Mark.