RE: Stateful Web Services...

I'm very surprised to see this comment from Savas -- I think he knows
better.  Yes the Grid community retracted OGSI, but it did not abandon the
effort to define a standard protocol for stateful web services.  Instead
OGSI was superseded by a set of proposed standards collectively called the
Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF).  The reasons for the change are
many-fold, but by no means do they imply that OGSI was a miserable failure.
Miserable failures do not have substantial follow on efforts based ona
substantial core of the original.  (For those interested in details, the
main differences between OGSI and WSRF are a) abandoning creating a special
version of wsdl using the extension mechanism in XML Schema, and b) a change
in packaging -- splitting one standard up into a set of standards.  Of
course, as you would expect the authors have also taken the opportunity to
clean up a number of smaller items, but these are what I would call the big
ones.)

I do not understand Savas' comment about scalability depending on not having
an assumption about the endpoint maintaining state.  Quite the opposite.
You cannot scale large systems if you have to assume all state has to be
transferred every time.  At least this is my experience, and I think we
build some pretty robust, scalable systems.  I would say that what you
really want to avoid is having to assume that you will always have to go to
the same endpoint because of dependence on state.  A mechanism that provides
for transference of information about how to get at that state does just
that.  If you go Savas's route you invent that for yourself.  If you follow
WSRF, you will be following a standard protocol for defining and
transferring that information.

That having been said -- I do not believe there are any off-the-shelf WSRF
implementations available.  The open source implementation from the Globus
Project (Globus v. 4) is set to go GA later this year.  So pragmatics may
make a WSRF based solution out of reach depending on the timing required.

Chalon Mullins
Technical Director, Infrastructure Strategy and Architecture
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
SF211MN-08-472
101 Montgomery St
San Francisco, CA 94104