Re: WSDL 1.2/2.0

The WS-Desc team determined that the spec it was developing was
sufficiently different from WSDL 1.1 that it was more appropriate to name
it WSDL 2.0 rather than WSDL 1.2. So the team simply changed the name from
WSDL 1.2 to WSDL 2.0. You should think of the last WSDL 1.2 working draft
as an early version of the current WSDL 2.0 working draft.

SOAP 1.2 is complete, and developers can use WSDL 1.1 to describe SOAP 1.2
services. But the fact of the matter is, very few products fully support
SOAP 1.2, and anyone developing Web services using SOAP 1.2 will probably
encounter interoperability issues for the immediate future. I agree with
your third assumption.

Anne

At 03:55 AM 2/9/2004, Rob Henley wrote:
>Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I haven't seen this clarified anywhere.  Can
>anyone say if these assumptions are correct?
>
>1.  WSDL 1.2 will not be developed further and will never progress from
>working draft?
>2.  WSDL 2.0 as it currently stands is identical to WSDL 1.2, but is
>intended to be developed by W3C to Recommendation status?
>3.  most businesses will probably wait for a finalised WSDL 2.0 before
>migrating from SOAP 1.1 + WSDL 1.1 + basic Profile to SOAP 1.2 + WSDL 2.0?
>
>Many thanks
>Rob Henley

Anne Thomas Manes
VP & Research Director