Re: Bottom up approach to web services

Our DAML-S editor, which is being redesigned and rewritten to
reflect updates to DAML-S, provides for the equivalent of
a workflow tool to graphically compose services from the
bottom up.  I don't know whether this is what you're
getting at, Charlie.  Evren's tool, while not providing
for complex compositions, does a nice job helping the user
to locate services that match input/output requirements.

Sheila McIlraith

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 charlie@semantech.org wrote:

> I have checked that out, thanks. To what extent can one automate such
> composition process? Also it seems to me that not being able to make use of the
> control constructs in the final composition is restrictive and does not take
> advantage of the expressive potential of the process model.
>
> Charlie
>
> Quoting Evren Sirin <evren@cs.umd.edu>:
>

> > > Hi all,
> > > The present DAML-S examples, congo and bravoair, are both built in a
> > top-down
> > > manner. Is it possible to build similar services in a bottom-up approach?
> > > envision quite some difficulty if one wants to create a composite service
> > by
> > > making use of the specified control constructs of the process model.
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried to do this?
> >
> > Actually, yes. We have built a DAML-S composer that guides the user to
> > create composite processes in a bottom-up approach. User starts with a
> > single service, presented with possible services that can be matched with
> > it, filters the results according to non-functional attributes of the
> > services. The resulting composite service can be executed using the WSDL
> > groundings. However, GUI is data-flow oriented rather than control flow
> > oriented so, as you suggest, you cannot make use of control constructs such
> > as loops and conditionals.
> >
> > Check out http://www.mindswap.org/~evren/composer where you can find links
> > to some sample service descriptions, a paper that describes the system and
> > an online demo of the system.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Evren

> > > This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

Sheila McIlraith, PhD                 Phone: 650-723-7932
Senior Research Scientist             Fax:  650-725-5850
Knowledge Systems Lab
Department of Computer Science
Gates Sciences Building, 2A-248       http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/sam
Stanford University                   E-mail: sam-at-ksl-dot-stanford-dot-edu
Stanford, CA 94305-9020