Re: Bottom up approach to web services

From: Evren Sirin <evren@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:48:42 -0400
To: <charlie@semantech.org>, <www-ws@w3.org>

> Hi all,
> The present DAML-S examples, congo and bravoair, are both built in a
top-down
> manner. Is it possible to build similar services in a bottom-up approach?
> envision quite some difficulty if one wants to create a composite service
by
> making use of the specified control constructs of the process model.
>
> Has anyone tried to do this?

Actually, yes. We have built a DAML-S composer that guides the user to
create composite processes in a bottom-up approach. User starts with a
single service, presented with possible services that can be matched with
it, filters the results according to non-functional attributes of the
services. The resulting composite service can be executed using the WSDL
groundings. However, GUI is data-flow oriented rather than control flow
oriented so, as you suggest, you cannot make use of control constructs such
as loops and conditionals.

Check out http://www.mindswap.org/~evren/composer where you can find links
to some sample service descriptions, a paper that describes the system and
an online demo of the system.

Best,

Evren