POST and visibility

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:33:11 -0400
To: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Cc: www-ws@w3.org

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 05:13:12PM -0400, Walden Mathews wrote:
> Okay, so if the application is not tunneling beyond the tunnel
> already provided by POST, then intermediaries know the application
> is not doing a GET, and so they know not to cache the response.
> Is there anything else?

In the case of a purely generic HTTP intermediary, no, I think
distinguishing GETs from non-GETs is the only real difference
(though cacheability is only one available piece of info).

I believe it's only when you move from generic HTTP-only, to generic
HTTP/RDF, that the benefits of this approach are seen for POST too.

MB
  Actively seeking contract work or employment