Re: Proposed issue; Visibility of Web services

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:59:59 -0400
To: www-ws@w3.org

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:13:50AM -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> > Hardcoded intermediaries are valuable, so long as they're
> > hardcoded to a
> > generic application; the more generic the application, the
> > more valuable
> > the intermediary.
>
> Sigh, OK, so this has been a word-game: "hardcoded intermediaries" are what
> we all think of as HTTP-aware firewalls/proxies/caches/etc., because you
> think of the Web as a single "application."  You can understand how this
> confuses those of us who think of the Web as infrastructure upon which
> millions of applications are built!

Oh yes, I completely understand.  But I wouldn't say that it's the
wording that's confusing.  IMO, what's confusing is the concept of a
"generic application", since that's not a familiar concept to people
who have worked primarily on enterprise/Intranet systems, where high
visibility is not a requirement.

MB
  Actively seeking contract work or employment