DAML-S: Conditional E/Os

From: mithun sheshagiri <mits1@cs.umbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:55:54 -0400
To: www-ws@w3.org, mits1 <mits1@umbc.edu>
Hi All,
              Lets take the example of ExpressCongoBuy atomic service.
This service has 2 conditional  outputs- congoOrderShippedOut and
congoOutOfStockOutput. Only one of these will materialize (depending on
the BookInStock and BookOutStock conditions) on service execution.

In this case what is the use of BookInStock/BookOutStock? The "values"
of these variables are not part of the advertisement, since the value
depends on congoBuyBookISBN (input). The value of this variable can be
known only when the response from service provider is received. Now, if
I get the desired output then I won't be interested in BookInStock
because I know it is true. If I get the undesired output, then I can use
the value of the condition variable to determine whether failure was due
to a normal problem (book being out of stock) or a abnormal problem
(book was in stock and still the service did  not execute as intended).
So, is diagnosis the only purpose of condition variable.

--
Mithun Sheshagiri
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~mits1