RE: Debating on the usefulness of supporting ... - Clarifying "standard web services" - Only for the sake of this debate, "WSDL and SOAP"

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:05:46 +0100
To: <www-ws@w3.org>

[snip]

> Into the following one:
> > Widely accepted standards WSDL and SOAP don't support:
> > a) The concept of stateful service instance
> > b) Stateful interaction
> > -  Object passing, neither by value nor by reference

As I have already said in the WSDL attributes TF, WSDL is not the right
place to introduce semantics like this. WSDL is the specification on
_how_ to write WS interfaces and not what the behavioural semantics of
those interfaces are.

SOAP is definitely not the right place since it's just a wire protocol.

If stateful interactions are required and none of the current approaches
are suitable (WS-Coordination, WS-Conversation, etc.), then a new WS-*
standard will have to be formed that it's adopted by the community
(WS-StatefulInteractions?... I don't know).

IMHO, WSDL is definitely not the right place.

.savas.