Re: rdf:property expressions in DAML

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 04:05 AM, Monika Solanki wrote:

> A Trivial question.

Not so trivial, actually.

> I have noticed in Process.owl and also CongoProcess.owl that certain
> properties have been expressed as rdf:property rather than
> owl:DatatypeProperty or owl:ObjectProperty, though the range is not
> owl#Thing For e.g.

That range shouldn't matter. rdf:Property is the super property of both.

> rdf:Property rdf:ID="locateBookOutput">
>   <rdfs:subPropertyOf
> rdf:resource="http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/0.9/
> Process.owl#output" />
>   <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#LocateBook" />
>   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#LocateBookOutput" />
>   </rdf:Property>
>
> and
>
> - <rdf:Property rdf:ID="nameBookInCatalogue">
>   <owl:domain rdf:resource="#BookInCatalogue" />
>   <owl:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string" />
>   </rdf:Property>
>
> Could there be a specific reason behind doing this or does it not
> matter?

The specific reason is that our coverter did that, And the specific
reason it did that is that daml:Property is used in the daml files.

The biggest thing that this does is it makes all those ontologies
definitely in OWL Full (syntactically, at least). In general, the DL
and Lite species of OWL require you to be very explicit of the type of
just about everything and to be mutually exclusive with your set of
Object and Datatype properties. OWL Full doesn't either restriction,
and many DAML+OIL systems, though they had the latter restrictions (for
certain semantics) would let you infer from range or from use which
type of property you had.

We didn't do anything more than an exact convertion of the files this
round, partly due time and partly due to the fact that both daml-s and
OWL are somewhat moving targets. It's on my todo list to figure out
what species of owl DAML-S and useful DAML-S decriptions can reasonably
fit it, and whether that buys you anything.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.