serviceParameter vs. parameter

From: Sam Mulube <sam@mulube.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:52:16 -0000
To: <www-ws@w3.org>

I've recently been working on implementing a semantic matchmaker for web
services making use of the DAML-S ServiceProfile ontology, and I'm
wondering why the decision was made to use the word parameter in
relation to both the functional inputs, outputs, effects or
preconditions of a described web service, and the so called
serviceParameters of a described web service, which from my
understanding allow arbitrary characteristics of a web service to be
defined (i.e. the geographical radius of a web service, or maximum
response time, etc..).

Surely it would have been better to use a different term for one of
these areas to make it clearer that they are describing different
features of the web service, for example instead of serviceParameter,
why not serviceCharacteristic?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Thanks

Samuel Mulube