Re: DAML-S: ObjectProperty vs ServiceParameters

From: David Martin <martin@ai.sri.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:11:14 -0800
To: Daniel Elenius <danel698@student.liu.se>
CC: www-ws@w3.org

Daniel Elenius wrote:

> I am looking at ProfileHierarchy.daml, and I see that DAML+OIL
> ObjectProperty has been used to define properties of the example classes
> defined there. For example, Information_Service has "source", "topic"
> and "information_date" ObjectProperties. Shouldn't the more specific
> DAML-S ServiceParameter be used here?

Both approaches are valid.  Subclassing of  ObjectProperty is especially
appropriate when constructing a hierarchy of profiles - it allows for the
most direct use of DAML+OIL's facilities for property subclassing.
However, as noted in
last paragraph, we recognize that for some situations, it may be preferred
to create a "flat" (non-hierarchical) organization of profiles.  I believe
ServiceParameter may be more useful in the flat approach.

Others may wish to comment further on the use of ServiceParameter.

David Martin