new paper: "Beyond Monotonic Inheritance: Towards Semantic Web Process Ontologies"

From: Benjamin Grosof <bgrosof@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:08:10 -0400
To: swsl-committee@daml.org
Cc: www-ws@w3.org, Abraham Bernstein <bernstein@ifi.unizh.ch>

Hi Folks,
I and Avi Bernstein now have a distribution version of our new paper on how
to represent process ontologies for Semantic Web Services, including esp.
non-monotonic aspects of inheritance, and focusing initially on the content
and inheritance behavior of the MIT Process Handbook which is soon to have
an open source version. It's available
at:  http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof/#beyond-mon-inh-basic.
Comments are most welcome.  Mini-abstract is below.

We'd like to present it briefly to the SWSL group at some point soon; it's
quite relevant to the recent discussions on FOL vs. nonmon inheritance etc.
Benjamin

mini-abstract:

"Beyond Monotonic Inheritance:  Towards Semantic Web Process Ontologies"
(Working paper of August 16, 2003, submitted for conference publication).
By <a href="http://www.ufi.unizh.ch/~bernstein">Abraham (Avi) Bernstein</a>
and <a href="home.html">Benjamin N. Grosof</a> (NB:  order of authorship
is alphabetic).

<i>Comment:  Gives new  "Courteous Inheritance" approach that for the
first time represents
non-monotonic aspects of object-oriented style inheritance
in process ontologies so as to integrate them into the Semantic Web, focusing
on the <a href="http://ccs.mit.edu">MIT Process Handbook</a>.
The approach uses the Courteous Logic Programs
subset of RuleML, and is aimed largely for use in Semantic Web Services.
The Process Handbook is a large, primarily-textual repository
frequently used by industry business process designers.
</i>

Prof. Benjamin Grosof
Web Technologies for E-Commerce, Business Policies, E-Contracting, Rules,
XML, Agents, Semantic Web Services
MIT Sloan School of Management, Information Technology group
http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof or http://www.mit.edu/~bgrosof