Re: Protocol independance

From: Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:01:22 -0500
To: Mark Baker <mbaker@idokorro.com>, www-ws@w3.org

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:37:14 -0500, Mark Baker <mbaker@idokorro.com> wrote:

> Suppose we had a tuple space based system, such as one based on Linda
> or JavaSpaces.  Would it still be the case that a Web services approach
> to using this system would be to tunnel "getStockQuote" messages through
> write() or take() or other tuple space operations?

I would think that a consumer could write() an object that was a
representation of the Infoset defining a getStockQuote SOAP message, and
then the service could take() the message, then write() an object
representing the Infoset of the response.  You'd need a way of
"serializing" the Infoset as a Javaspaces object (that's sortof a mind-
bending concept) but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

> I'm just trying to understand the motivation for this view.  Thanks.

Uhh, because there are a lot of protocols out there, many of which do the
job they were designed to do better than HTTP can?