Re: Object Property- restrictedTo in Profile.daml

Monika Solanki wrote:

> As Defined in the Reference Specification for DAML+OIL,
>
> DAML+OIL divides the universe into two disjoint parts. One part
> consists of the values that belong to XML Schema datatypes. This part
> is called the datatype domain. The other part consists of (individual)
> objects that are considered to be members of classes described within
> DAML+OIL (or RDF). This part is called the object domain.
>
> As mentoined in Profile.daml, restrictedTo is an Object Property which
> has as its range any kind of DAML+OIL class (Thing)
>
> <daml:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="restrictedTo">
>   <daml:domain rdf:resource="#ParameterDescription" />
>   <daml:range
> rdf:resource="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil#Class" />
>  </daml:ObjectProperty>
>
> However, in CongoProfile.daml, the restrictyed to parameter for "book"
> has been  defined as
>
> <input>
> - <profile:ParameterDescription rdf:ID="BookTitle">
>   <profile:parameterName>bookTitle</profile:parameterName>
>   <profile:restrictedTo
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema.xsd#string" />
>   <profile:refersTo
> rdf:resource="http://www.daml.org/services/daml-s/2001/10/Congo.daml#bookName"
> />
>   </profile:ParameterDescription>
>   </input>
>
> I am confused by the usage of the range values for restrictedTo
> property.

You are quite right, and thank you for pointing this out.

It is clearly not appropriate for an instance of restrictedTo to have
xsd#string as its value, since restrictedTo is declared as an
ObjectProperty.  It seems clear to me that we should change
ObjectProperty to Property.  I also believe that, for maximum
flexibility, we'll need to just leave the range completely unspecified
(which is perfectly legitimate in DAML+OIL).

After I've confirmed this latter point, we'll make the changes on the
WebSite.

> Further the semantic Matchmaker at
> http://www.damlsmm.ri.cmu.edu/index.html.does not recognise XML Schema
> datatypes as range values for the restrictedTo property.

I'll let the CMU folks respond to the the above (but it may be delayed,
due to travel by the relevant team member).

Regards,
David Martin