Re: SOAP services as database query interfaces / SOAP design patterns?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:58:47 -0500
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: www-ws@w3.org

Hi Dan,

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:18:44AM -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Regardless of those details, we still have a huge opportunity here for
> better characterising the facilities offered by these services. Think of
> the number of Web sites (olde style HTML based sites, even) that offer
> ZipCode/Postcode based searches, or ISBN-based lookups, or that can be
> keyed into by airport codes, stocktickers or other predictable datatypes,
> value sets etc.
>
> My interest is in cataloguing these services, regardless of the mechanics
> of interaction with them. I suspect that doing so will help make the case
> for careful use of HTTP GET. Once it is easier to find such services (or
> 'web sites', as we used to call them) it'll be easier to mechanically
> generate links into them, which in turn might encourage deployment of
> GETable interfaces.

Do you have an example?

> ps. do you know any URIs for example services that use the SOAP GET
> support?

The only one I know of is this;

http://soap.4s4c.com/registration/rounds/
http://soap.4s4c.com/registration/tests/
http://soap.4s4c.com/registration/toolkits/

> It'd be interesting to experiment with use of a stylesheet PI in
> these, for linking to XSLT-based UI for web services. I understand SOAP
> currently discourages this, but I'd still be interested in seeing whether
> its a useful technique...

I think it would be hugely useful, but the WG already rejected the
requests (including mine) to reintroduce PIs for this purpose.

MB
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food