Re: SOAP services as database query interfaces / SOAP design patterns?

Dan,

I think it's important to note that most of those services you refer to
at XMethods would best be implemented using either vanilla HTTP GET, or
HTTP GET via the SOAP 1.2 WebMethod feature[1].  For really complex
queries, where URIifying the query terms is not practical, the use of
SOAP/POST may be beneficial, but there's even much better ways to do
that[2] than most Web services use.

So IMHO, I don't think there's much use in trying to optimize for them,
because query based Web services should be using the optimizations
already available in GET and URIs.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#WebMethodFeature
 [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jan/0232

MB