Re: Agent's components as Services

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:13:59 -0500
To: "Charlie Abela" <abcharl@maltanet.net>, <www-ws@w3.org>
At 04:07 PM 3/27/2002 +0000, Charlie Abela wrote:
>I would like some information about how effective and useful can it be to
>build a software agent from a number of components that can be treated as
>if they were services. Maybe using ontologies to describe the execution of
>the processes (by invoking a number of components in a sequence) that
>define the agent s behavior.

That's certainly something we'd like to do with Web Services.  Part of the
point of Web Services is being able to use them as components in larger
systems, services or applications.

>Where would one find useful information about such an issue if it is feasible?

You might want to look at WSCL[1], a proposed "Web Services Conversation
Language" from HP, and WSFL[2], a proposed "Web Services Flow Language"
from IBM.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2002/02/Comment
[2] http://www-4.ibm.com/software/solutions/webservices/pdf/WSFL.pdf

David Booth